Thursday, July 5, 2007

More than 3 Months

So, who'd a thought I'd post on a blog, let alone create one so that people can read it? I guess like brother, like brother - check out my bro's blog. So the primary reason for my blog is to note my efforts, currently lack there of, towards my training for the Chicago Marathon. I have a little over 3 months to get my butt in shape - the marathon is on October 7th. I figured that if I was accountable towards more people than just myself, maybe I'd have more motivation to get out and log the necessary miles - and there's a lot of them!

I know, the first step should have been to create a training plan, not a blog. But this is an experiment. I'll get to the training plan shortly.

I ran a half marathon over Memorial Day weekend in Boston - the Boston Run to Remember. 13.1 that I wasn't prepared for. The warm weather and the boring 5 miles down Memorial Drive didn't help. Unfortunately, I posted my second worst time in a half. At least for the Chicago Marathon I'll establish a PR! That's what happens when you've never run a marathon before...

So today is a beautiful day in Boston (that's what I said yesterday about the 4th of July and it ended up raining in the evening). I worked from home so could have easily made the move to log the 4 miles that I wanted to, but that's when my lack of motivation kicked in and I decided to finally create this blog. I didn't even run yesterday. My excuses have been weak these past 2 days, and they revolve around having to help my girlfriend move to a new place. We're going to pick up a couch for her tonight, but I could have easily gotten in 4 miles beforehand.

Feel free to post to this blog - maybe for those I'm accompanying to Chicago we can use this as a motivational tool. Post your ups and downs, and we can all get motivated, or feel better about our lack of miles thus far. Again, I've got 3 months - I can do this...

9 comments:

dap said...

I've already had an email saying that a post was attempted, but did not work. This is a test.

JMP said...

Wow.

EM said...

I too did not run today...or yesterday :) I'm hoping for a speed workout tomorrow though. Quality run #3 in the Runner's World training plan to be exact :)

Anonymous said...

Dave - It's Julie - this is my first time posting on a blog! Just wanted to say it's normal to have moments where you lack motivation. Try writing out a plan for a week - check off the workouts when you complete them. It helps me get out the door when I don't "feel like it." Most days you won't so you have to decide beforehand! You can do it! :)

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, because of my unemployment I can live vicariously through you! I've got the Boilermaker 15K this weekend (yes it is the 30th annual. How did you know?), and it's supposed to be 90 degrees as always, but it ends at a Brewery so I'm sure I'll be just fine.
Good luck

Anonymous said...

Wow! Okay, so I didn't get to be the first to post, but I am going to try again. I am convinced that you will keep up the training and you will do a super job in the marathon. We just spent the weekend in Chicago with 2 marathon runners, and they are rooting for you, too. Go for it! Writing is a good way to work through the blocks, keep at it! We 'burghers know you can do it! Love ya'

Linz said...

Corri, corri, corri!!

Linz said...

Corri, corri, corri!!

Anonymous said...

Dave - Do you need a warm up round? Interested in doing the 5th Annual Run for Gus in Chicago on August 2nd. The competition will be tough.