Saturday, July 14, 2007

To Run Now, or to Wait

I woke up this morning to move my car, and wanted to get out early for my five mile pace run. However, I hadn't eaten anything or fueled, so by the time and got some energy in my body and put some new tunes on my iPod shuffle (those are great for running), it was 11 am. The past couple of days in Boston have been quite hot and humid, so when I was finally ready to role and looked outside, I wondered if I was making a mistake running at 11:30. I was thinking, maybe I should go sometime this evening when the sun goes down. There I go again, trying to make excuses. But, even though when I got in the car it felt like a sauna, I drove to the Brookline Reservoir. Boy was I wrong, it was gorgeous out! The sun was shinning, but it was only in the mid 70s with low humidity and even a breeze. Although, later I find out on the backstretch of my loop that there was a pretty good headwind. I managed to crank out 5 miles in just under 40 minutes (not sure how accurate this is as I re-calibrated my running computer yesterday) - a 7:57 / mile pace. Average heart rate was 166 with a max of 182. The last quarter mile I was picking it up, and then when I saw someone approaching I tried to hold them off, but couldn't...

Yesterday (Friday) was an active rest day. I did manage to re-calibrate my running computer because of some troubles from my Wednesday run that I noticed on Thursday. After recalibrating from jogging 400 meters, I decided to jog another 400m, walk a 400, and jog one more. Then was able to have a good stretch - around 20 minutes. Good rest day!

Thursday was a simple 3 miler at the gym, so that I could get some stretching in as well. Went late to the gym, so got my pick of treadmills and opted for the one right under the overhead fan. Still, I was sweating a lot - maybe from the water I had been drinking during the day. The run was good - as good as a treadmill run can get. But because I was frantically hitting buttons on my watch at the end of my Tuesday run, I think I hit something I shouldn't have, and put it into Bike mode. Whoops - so my distance and speed readings weren't accurate. I kept the heart rate info and kept things simple with an average of 141 and a max of 160.

So far things are going great. I'm happy that I've been able to run two 5 milers in the last week, and am looking forward to the long run tomorrow. I'm definitely going to do it in the evening because I don't wanna be completely exhausted for the entire day. Hope everyone else's training is going smashingly! Remember to runstrong!

2 comments:

JMP said...

We want a new post!

JMP said...

Weak! Take this blog down, since you're obviously never going to update it again!